|| HOME | AREA ATTRACTIONS | OUTDOORS | EVENTS | COMMUNITY | PHOTO GALLERY | BUSINESSES ||
STOKR mail-in deadline is March 10, 2017
is held each year on the second full weekend in May. The STOKR bike
ride benefits the Kootenai Valley Partners Habitat for Humanity. It
takes two STOKRs to build one home!
2016 STOKR (10 pictures)
2014 STOKR photos (95 pictures)
This web page is also www.stokr.org.
STOKR is a fundraiser for Habitat for Humanity. There is a limit of 450 riders because of a) limited motel space, and b) limited volunteers available to cook, bake, man food stops and drive support.
The lottery, begun in 2008, works well. Procedures for 2017 are as follows.
1. Applications will be available online at www.stokr.org (this webpage) from February 14 until February 28, 2017.
2. Up to 10 applications can be submitted in one envelope. Envelopes with more than 10 will not be accepted.
3. NO duplicate applications. We will be opening and processing each envelope. Duplicates will eliminate you from participation.
4. Applications must be received by March 10, 2017.
5. On March 17 we will begin the drawing. When an envelope is drawn all registrants will be entered in STOKR.
6. Confirmations will be sent out by March 30, 2017.
7. We will contact those riders who did not get in for 2017. Those who do not get in will have the option of having their checks returned or torn up.
8, Cancellations received by April 29 will be refunded $20. The vacancy can only be filled from the wait list.
(Please thank these businesses and organizations for sponsoring STOKR!
www.paynewest.com - Robin C. Swimley, LUTCF
STOKR, 'Scenic Tour of the Kootenai River', bike ride is held
each year on the second full weekend in May. The event is sponsored
by the Kootenai Valley Partners Habitat for Humanity. Money
raised goes to build Habitat for Humanity homes for those in need
in Libby, Montana. To date, 10 homes have been built in our community
with funds raised by STOKR. It takes two STOKR fundraisers to build
one Habitat for Humanity Home.
Day 1 Kootenai River/Pipe Creek
Option #1: The 98-mile ride begins in Libby and travels west alongside the Kootenai River. The route turns and follows the Yaak River, by beautiful Yaak Falls, through remote countryside with little one-room schoolhouses and bars like the Golden Nugget and the Dirty Shame. We'll gradually climb 4,000 foot Pipe Creek Pass and be rewarded with a scenic 25 mile descent back to Libby alongside Pipe Creek. It is suggested that you have at least one 50 mile ride, and at least 200 miles on your legs, before attempting this ride.
Option #2: This scenic 45-mile route begins with the 98 milers heading west alongside the Kootenai River. There will be plenty of time to stop and take a short walk to Kootenai Falls (film site of the movie The River Wild). The ride goes beside a meandering blue ribbon trout stream, then over a small farmland plateau. It then returns to Libby along the Kootenai River.
- Day 2 - Lake Koocanusa/Libby Dam
Refreshment stops are available both days with food and snacks available to riders. Seasoned riders will appreciate the time and effort that goes into the food stops on this bike tour. Libby towns people donate homemade cookies, pasta salads, pots of soups and sub sandwiches. The pie stop is the all-time favorite on the 98 mile loop.
Volunteers follow along to help those who have flat tires or are too tired to finish the ride.
By May, spring has sprung in Libby and the snow is mostly gone. Days can be sunny or showery and a bit brisk, so riders are encouraged to dress for variable weather. The Scenic Tour of the Kootenai River bicycle ride is a great way to get out and start the summer!
more information: |